Saturday, January 14, 2012

Food of the Angels

In this wonderful Fast-Five food plan, Dr. Bert W. Herring, the author, says it doesn't really matter what you eat during the five hours, as long as you stay within those hours. However, he's quick to point out the obvious - the healthier the food, the better you'll feel and the more weight you'll lose.

I've lost weight already, but alas! I've been eating mostly dead, junk food. Last night, I went to bed with a strange pain in my body. I've been eating foods like chips, soda pop, white bread, processed and highly spiced meats, etc. I know these foods are not helping my body to be healthy. It reminded me of that last night.

About three years ago, I lost 60ish pounds just eating mostly raw vegan. I ate 85% raw vegan in calories, which means not much in the way of cooked foods. I felt great! My body was happy with me. I often had a half of a small watermelon for one entire meal. Watermelons, in my opinion and from what I've learned about them, is on the top of the list of healthy foods.

When I was reading in the Bible the other day about foods, I came across this verse:

"Men ate angel's food. He sent them food to the full". Psalm 78:25 in the njkv.

This was the manna that the Israelites had in the wilderness. Think about that manna: It sustained all these people for 40 years. At the end of those 40 years, Moses was 120 years old and and his eyes were not dimmed nor was his natural strength diminished - Deuteronomy 34:7. Now, why was that? I think it was largely because manna was the perfect food for the body and it kept Moses strong and with good eyes. Manna is spoken of as being given to the ones that enter heaven (Revelation 2:17). Food of the angels.

Though we can't eat the food of the angels now, would we? I mean, we have food that is closest to God's hands: fruits, nuts grains, vegetables. Why then, with the closest to angel's food that is available, do I eat dead lifeless foods knowing that they destroy cells rather than give them life?

Thinking all of this through, I don't have an answer except that I've become addicted to the taste, feel, smell of dead foods. God's foods taste, feel and smell so much better. Even when they rot and smell bad, they are useful in the compost pile - dead foods are not. Think of that - the foods I am eating not only are not helpful to the body, but also not helpful to a rotting compost pile. They are dead foods. Our God is a god of life, not death.

So, now, I'm challenging myself to eat the closest I can to angel's food: back to raw vegan and whole foods for me! I may fail miserably for a while, but my eye is on this goal. No more night pains for me if I can help it.

3 comments:

  1. I'll be honest, I've eaten all those foods that you have mentioned AND lost the weight. Deep fried fries, pizza loaded with everything, and let's mention bacon too! One of the reasons why I never really wrote down what I ate each day when I was at the Intermittent Fasting group on face book because I knew it would raise some eyes brows and question how 'healthy' I was eating. Now I don't eat like that every day. Praise God. I just do some days. I find though eating healthier is better for me. I can't eat just veggies (sure I could but....) because that would mean I would have to make two meals. One for my family and one for me. What I do try though is to make a healthy meal. I usually try to have a salad with each meal for my family and I with the main course. Fruits and veggies are a must. I find before going to bed, I try to keep some fruit on hand to eat instead of the junk food that my flesh desires. When eating fruit I find when I wake up the next day (which means I've slept through the night because I haven't eaten any junk), I'm joy filled, energy filled and my thoughts are not filled with depression or failure from eating junk from the night before.If you are able eat raw vegan, than great. Will this be a life style, something you will always do? I ask this because if it's not, than it becomes a 'diet' a way of losing weight, than going back to old eating habits. The life style is something you will do more of. Sure some bad days, but always more good days...Some questions I thought I would ask...I do know for myself, if my family would all be more 'health' conscience, our menu would be filled with more whole grains, fruits, veggies, fish and chicken and tons of salads. One day at at time though...'my eye is on this goal'..amen girl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comments Angela. That means so much to me. Yes, I do plan to make this a life style rather than a short diet. Eating less, whatever the food has made me feel so much better! I have so much energy even though I haven't been eating all the best foods. I think the fast five book suggests to do this for only for a while. However, I've learned more since then. There are some who eat only one meal, or for only a few hours a day, and have lived to be ripe old ages because of it. I love how you say you make a healthy meal for your family. It's like that's the highlight of your day, and it probably is!

      I'm not looking for huge weight loss numbers really. I'm looking for a life style change, and intermittent fasting allows real life eating and still gaining health, while I move toward the best possible healthy eating. I am so glad I found your videos, then your blog Angela. God bless you!

      Delete
  2. Thanks precious sister for your blessings..and also with you. You would be extremely surprised to see all the people that have been Intermittent Fasting for years. Many are famous superstars, people in politics, athletes, and ,MANY that are in the army. It was mind boggling to read about all these people that have been doing this for so long (one boxer has been doing this for 18 years!!!).

    I have so much energy AMEN AMEN AMEN..I told ya girl. It's AMAZING isn't it!! Blows me away the energy level, plus the mental level (more peace, strength, less anxiety and depression) when eating like this...I start the 40 day 'fast' tomorrow with the The Sacrificial Diet on facebook. I wrote about it early this morning...

    ReplyDelete