Monday, January 23, 2012

Glutton No More

I am through with the sin of gluttony. I really believe this is conquered in my life, more than ever before. Now, I'm not so naive as to think that Satan isn't standing by to get me back to that old way of eating. I know he is.

But, now I know that it's more than a bad habit. It was a sin that was holding me back from full obedience. That sin is a difficult one to pin down. I think it's because so many of us are guilty that we don't want to think of it as bad as being sinful.

I am here to proclaim that I'm not going back to that way of life. It is deadly. God is life giving. Gluttony is deceptive. God's word is truthful. Just look at this verse:

Proverbs 23:1-3 
 1 When you sit down to eat with a ruler,
Consider carefully what is before you;
2 And put a knife to your throat
If you are a man given to appetite.
3 Do not desire his delicacies,
For they are deceptive food.


The three most important things that hit me in this verse are 1) to consider carefully what food is there,  2) if you are a person given to appetite (ME!) and 3) rich foods are "deceptive" foods. That is, they have no real nutritious value. I do believe that our Father in Heaven wants us to be very careful about what we eat.

Once again, the word of God has saved me from myself.

2 comments:

  1. amen amen amen..I have that scripture underlined in all the bibles I own. I have cried many tears throughout the years with that scripture opened up before me...the word of God has saved me from myself.amen amen amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading this verse in one of your blogs. :-) It's such a valuable verse for us, isn't it? God is all knowing - He knew we and other people like us would desparately need these words. Thanks Angela!

    ReplyDelete