Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Hanging My Head In Shame

Today in Ladies' Bible Study that we have on Tuesday mornings with the church, the lesson was on sacrifice. Real sacrifice. The kind of sacrifice that is not "convenient".

I have to say, that this daily fasting is what Angela rightfully called, "The Sacrificial Diet". I was drawn to her blog just because of that title! Fasting IS a sacrifice. This kind of fasting is for the purpose of losing weight, but also can be thought of as for prayer.

Now, fasting and prayer do go hand in hand (go read: http://sharon-mydailyfast.blogspot.com/2012/04/prayer-and-fasting-just-go-together.html )  I'm not downplaying that at all, but I'm fasting daily primarily so that I can lose weight. Is this self serving? Where is the spiritual significance of losing weight?

God created our bodies to carry around just so much weight. He designed this wonderful creation, wrapped it in beauty, and gave it to us. What we do with what He has given is up to us. To be overly concerned is not His plan, nor is His plan for us to under concerned. He wants us to have the healthy natural body for as long as we live here.

We can do this by not over eating, and by eating what He has grown out of the ground and following health guidances that we find are wise - like stay away from sugar, etc...

When we were reading and listening to our teacher about sacrifice, I had to bring it down to home. I likely won't be asked to sacrifice a child as Abraham was asked (it had a happy ending - God interrupted this request and provided a ram for a sacrifice), but I AM asked to "present [my] bod[y] a living sacrifice" ~Romans 12:1.

I know that my influence for Christ will be greatly enhanced when I am seen as a person who has her appetite under control. I know I can still be a great influence or Christ, but I can be greater. I don't want there to be any stone left unturned when seeking the lost. I don't want the cross to be for nothing in that one person's case that would be hampered by this.

Not only do I see this as being important in seeking the lost, but also in being able to be a better servant to anyone. When we feel good, we can visit the sick, cook a meal, clean a kitchen, taxi someone to an appointment, etc. The list goes on and on. Obesity brings with it many physical ailments, and they all hamper our abilities to serve.

I knew where one of my sacrificial failings was during class today, and I just hung my head in shame and asked God to forgive and strengthen me in this matter (and one other, which is off-topic here). Father, help us all to present our bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to You.

I've still not gotten a good time locked in. I am going to have to quickly get the times down and stop being so wishy-washy. I am going back to 12-5. I can easily get supper prepared for everyone at 4:30. That would be best for all of us, actually. Noon to 5 o'clock it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment