Monday, April 15, 2013

New Week, New Verse

The verse of the week to inspire me to lose weight is 1 Peter 2:11,12.

"Beloved, I beg you as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul, having your conduct honorable among the Gentiles, that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may, by your good works which they observe, glorify God in the day of visitation."
 
Peter may not have meant the fleshly lust of over-eating, but it's my own fleshly lust and it certainly does war against my soul.

Would my conduct be more honorable among "the Gentiles" (in our case today, the unbelievers) by eating properly? I think so. I can only imagine what people must think of watching a fat woman driving down the road eating chips, fries, etc, or even grapes for that matter. I know what I'd think. "How deplorable seeing a fat person eating".

When we are at a gathering, it is more honorable to visit with each other, listen to another person, be attentive to needs of our fellow man than it is to see what sort of goodies are spread on the table free for the eating.

As a Christian, I represent to the world, Christ and the Father. I am to be a good example to weaker Christians. How can I do that if I put food above them? How can I glorify God by my conduct if my conduct is seen as continually eating?

We can easily see the answer if I were to compare flirting with married men, but eating rather than visiting people is more "acceptable". Not in my case. Now, let's get more personal.

What about eating in private? Part of the TOPS pledge says, "even though I  over eat in private, my excess poundage is there for all the world to see". Private eating is just as much a stumbling block (if not more) to unbelievers and weaker brethren as over eating at a potluck (for example). It's also more difficult to control.

I looked up the twelve steps of the AA and wrote them down to go along with my own addictions - food being one, laziness being another. Look them up and you'll see how those 12 steps can apply to any bad habit. It's easy to see that drinking alcohol in private is detrimental to all those around the drunkard after the private abusive drinking. In the same way, over eating in private is detrimental to all those around me. I can't do things for others as I should. My energy level is very low. My feet hurt quickly because of my weight and I have to rest more often than I should. I'm a bad example, and I am seen as one who can't control her indulgences. We all admire slim fit people. They control their eating and they give up something to get out and exercise to be that way. Mindless eating in front of the T.V. or computer when no one's around just doesn't bring admiration. A Christian, especially is open to criticism in this regard.

These verses have helped me each week. I was careful what I bought when I put up Isaiah 55:1-3. I ate only until I was satisfied and still had leftovers when I considered Ruth 2:14,18. Other verses helped me. I hope they are helping you. God's ways are perfect.

Now, I'm considering including pictures of my progress, eating, etc. It won't be easy for me, but I may break through my timidity here and make this blog more interesting that way. I know I like blogs that have pictures better.

Have a great week watching what you eat!  

No comments:

Post a Comment